A Day in the Life of a Mere Man

Ok, so it's not updated daily. Give me a break. *Points at the phrase "mere man"*

Saturday, July 24, 2010

What the Soldier/Sailor/Airman/Marine might be thinking...

Honestly, I don't look forward to complete strangers approaching me in the airport because they want to thank me for my service. I don't really want anyone to thank me for my service. I don't want military discounts on my food, my rent, my dishwasher, or my pimpin' rims. You know what i really want? I want to be left alone. The Army is a means, not an end. I joined to better myself and serve my country, not cut to the front of the line to board the aircraft and receive tumultuous applause upon deplaning. 
My Corps motto is "For God and Country". That means my primary service is to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, as a minister of hope from him to the Joes in my unit. If I serve him by serving others and being Christ to them, I have done my work for the day. Whether that means supplying the chapel with Bibles and Q'urans or refilling the Kool-ade bowl so it doesn't run out, or just sitting and listening to SPC Garcia talk about his family problems, I am being the image of Christ, a "little Christ" in their life. 
THAT is what my military service is about. I serve the people of the United States (especially it's soldiers) and live the Army values. 

No comments: