A Day in the Life of a Mere Man

Ok, so it's not updated daily. Give me a break. *Points at the phrase "mere man"*

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Arrival in Italy (Hurry up and Wait)

So, I've been in Italy almost a week now. The unit I was supposed to go to (683rd Support Detatchment) is in need of a Staff Sergeant Chaplain's Assistant, rather than a private. Therefore, I'm getting orders re-cut, and according to my old 1st Sergeant, I may very well end up in Bamburg, Germany. 
In the meantime, I'm trying to get to know the post a little bit, as well as work up the courage to head off post and see a little bit of Italy while I can. It's silly to think that I, an American Soldier, would be afraid of going out in a friendly city, but I am. I don't really have anyone I can go out with, and I'd be a little nervous about going out alone. I don't much care for the post, that much is certain. You could walk across the whole thing in about 10 minutes if you wanted to, the PX is pretty small and the only thing for entertainment is the standard bowling alley and movie theater-combination. 

Went to see Salt today, which wasn't too bad. There were almost as many plot twists and betrayals as there were gunshots, but it was entertaining enough for a couple hours time. 

My roommate is quite the party animal, apparently. Normally I wouldn't mind, except he seems to prefer to host these parties, which is pretty annoying when he's blasting his country music at max volume on his stereo and I'm trying to sleep or watch 24 or what have you. 

Anyway, I should know my unit in a few more days. Updates will follow as they happen. 

No comments: