A Day in the Life of a Mere Man

Ok, so it's not updated daily. Give me a break. *Points at the phrase "mere man"*

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmastime...

This year was my first Christmas without the comforts of family and friends from home. Understandably, it was very different and kinda hard to get used to. So many traditions, like lighting the advent wreath candles, decorating the house, tree, shoveling the sidewalks and driveways, etc., went by the wayside. I tried to at least do the tree thing, but I didn't have my ornaments from home, and it didn't seem right to just buy a bulk pack of indiscriminate decorations. So the tree sat bare in the middle of the room, looking (and feeling, I'm sure, if the fairies in Fern Gully were right) pretty awkward there by itself. It's potted, so it could potentially last until next Christmas, if I remember to water it. Maybe I'll put it out on the balcony so it can get some sun and cold weather, like I'm sure a pine tree would like it.

But it wasn't all loneliness and no traditions this Christmas. I learned (more or less) this season that you're as merry as you want to be, and one of the best ways to make yourself merry is to make other people happy. I found that out when I gave out gifts of homemade jam to my friends and coworkers. The genuine surprise and happiness on their faces surprised me more than it did them, and it was nice to receive the gift of giving to others. I hope I remember this for next Christmas, so the gifts can be more personal and it won't be just my passing on gifts from my family. I think I will still get requests for my mom's jam next year, though. :P

Anyway, I still don't have plans for New Year's. Hopefully I can find a party that doesn't exclusively involve alcohol, like the last party I went to with people from the unit. We'll see, I suppose.

No comments: